Actor Gary Busey charged with sexual offenses at Monster-Mania Con


Actor Gary Busey has been charged with sexual offenses after he appeared as a guest at a convention for horror films and memorabilia earlier this month, police said.

Busey, 78, was widely promoted as one of many featured guests at the Monster-Mania Con, held Aug. 12-14 at the DoubleTree hotel in Cherry Hill, N.J.

Cherry Hill police confirmed in a statement Saturday that Busey had been charged with two counts of fourth-degree criminal sexual contact, one count of attempted criminal sexual contact and one count of harassment.

“It was about contact. It was about touching,” Lt. Robert Scheunemann of the Cherry Hill police told the Philadelphia Inquirer, adding that police received “multiple complaints” about the actor’s behavior.

Monster-Mania allows fans to meet stars from their favorite films, pose for photos and purchase merchandise.

Police said that, during the weekend of the event, they responded to a sexual offense report that led investigators to charge Busey, of Malibu, Calif., on Aug. 19. Police said the investigation is ongoing and have asked that anyone with information come forward.

“Monster-Mania is assisting authorities in their investigation into an alleged incident involving attendees and a celebrity guest at its convention in Cherry Hill, New Jersey last weekend,” convention officials said in a Facebook post. “Immediately upon receiving a complaint from the attendees, the celebrity guest was removed from the convention and instructed not to return. Monster-Mania also encouraged the attendees to contact the police to file a report.”

“The safety and well-being of all our attendees is of the utmost importance to Monster-Mania, and the company will not tolerate any behavior that could compromise those values,” the post said.

Busey has appeared in more than 150 movies, including “Point Break,” “Under Siege” and “Lethal Weapon.” He starred in the 1978 film “The Buddy Holly Story,” which earned him an Oscar nomination for best actor.

In 1988, the actor was left with severe brain damage from a motorcycle accident. He was not wearing a helmet at the time of the incident, which he told the Guardian split his skull and led him to briefly die and come back to life after brain surgery.

A representative for Busey could not immediately be reached for comment early Sunday.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button